ASSIGNMENT ONE -
Care and Teaching of Young Children
After you have read through lessons 1 - 5, complete the
questionnaire below. When you have answered all the questions, click on
SUBMIT at the bottom of the page. Your assignment will be sent directly to
1. Describe five factors that have
developed over the past 15-20 years that have had an impact on the need for
younger children to learn a new language:
2. Explain the difference between the
'Instructivist' and 'Constructivist approaches to teaching young
3. Describe Dr. Howard Gardnerís Theory of
Multiple Intelligences: .
4. What is usually the first problem a
teacher of pre-school age children has?
5. What are some of the secrets to
motivating young learners?
6. Explain the statement that discipline
and punishment are not the same thing:
7. What is the most important factor that
determines children's success in life?
8. What are eight ways in which children
9. Why is it important that children are
able to relate what you teach to their own world?
10. How can teachers encourage learning at
11. What is the difference between
Simultaneous and Sequential Bilingualism?
12. Describe six fundamentals of teaching
ESL to young learners?
13. What is the most important thing for a
teacher to remember about teaching English to young children?
14. What do you understand in the statement
"The classroom should be a constantly changing environment"?
15. If you had complete control over the
design of your classroom, what would you do to make it 'Young learner friendly'
Once you have answered the questions and read them over,
please click ONLY ONCE on 'Submit' below. Your responses will be sent
immediately to us. We recommend that you print off a hard
copy of your responses (or save them on your computer) in case we do not receive
your submission and also for your own future reference. You may then
continue to the next lesson.
As with many institutes, we do not
grade assignments. The instructor will contact you to acknowledge receipt of
your assignment. It will be judged 'satisfactory' or 'in progress'. In the
latter case, the instructor will discuss with you what needs to be done to bring
it up to the 'satisfactory' level.
You may continue on to the next
section whenever you are ready. You do not have to wait to hear from your